Hunt Calendar Information
2013-06-03 08:04:41

Opening Hunt - Sat May 6th

Special Events
2013-06-03 08:03:48

Check the NEWS page for the most recent Newsletter

Upcoming Events
2013-05-14 11:55:48

Sat 24 Jun 80's night
Sun 30 Jul Hunter Show
Sun 8 Aug Hound Show
Sun 29 Aug Landholder's Lunch
 

About Us

The first meet of the Oaklands Hounds was held on 28th July, 1888 at the Inverness Hotel, the site now occupied by the Tullamarine Airport.  The history of the Oaklands Hounds began in 1888 with a loan of seven and a half couple from Mr George Watson, Master of the Melbourne Hounds 1853 – 1907, the Melbourne hounds at that time, had bloodlines from the Duke of Beaufort’s and the Duke of Grafton’s hounds.

The first kennels were at the Master’s property, “Warlaby”, from 1888 – 1890.  Then they were moved to “Woodlands”, property of the foundation president, Mr. W. H. Croker, a small rental for fifty acres and a lease of three years was agreed to.  New kennels were erected and ready for the 1890 season designed by Architects Crouch & Wilson and constructed by W. Bolger at a total cost of 396 pounds.  The first purchase of real estate was in 1893, three acres on Woodlands from W. H. Croker for the sum of 108 pounds upon which the kennels had been erected.  Woodlands was to be home of the Oaklands hounds until 1908.  The next purchase was 108 acres in Oaklands Road, the kennels were relocated from “Woodlands”, together with improvements to the cottages for the hunt staff.  This would be home until relocation to “Sherwood” in 1946.  In the post war years the property was sub-divided and sold off.

Annual Members Subscription

Hunting Member $575.00
Associate Member $575.00
Junior Member $175.00
Non-Hunting Member $200.00
Social Member $75.00
Capping Fees – per meet $50.00